Thursday 1 March 2007

Gen Sec Race: Zoe Sullivan


My name is Zoe Sullivan and I'm running for General Secretary. I'm running because I want to make the Students Union more relevant to the majority of students and inject it with a new dynamism. Our union is changing. In five years, we will be in a new building and have 10,000 members. With so much at stake being decided now, the next General Secretary will have a massive effect on the future of the SU.
Here are some of my priorities: BETTER TEACHING QUALITY - by giving programme representatives the strength to tackle issues like tutor contact and value-for-money. I also want to work with them on securing exam feedback and re-sits; A DUAL RESPONSE TO FEES - that includes campaigning to keep the cap but also increasing financial support and debt management advice; STUDENT-FOCUSED POLICY - through campaigns to extend Oystercard discounts and to secure a 24-hour common space for students working late to relax in, so that university feels less like a 9-to-5 job and more like a place where students meet, study and live; MORE ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENT - in order to make the SU more relevant to the majority of students I propose holding events like student policy conferences as part of awareness weeks, and peer-review essay competitions by department; PROTECTION OF STUDENTS - from all forms of discrimination and abuse, and improving security around campus and in halls.
I believe I have the necessary vision, experience and determination. If you give me the chance, I will succeed.
Let's make a good union great: Vote Zoe Sullivan for General Secretary.

No comments: