Thursday 1 March 2007

Comms race: Kayt Berry


I’m Kayt Berry. This year I have been Station Manager for PuLSEfm and one of the main controllers of the media group. This role has given me a great experience in running a team and promoting events, brands and campaigns. I also know how the SU works.
The Communications Officer should build a bridge between student government and the Media Group, and publicise events and services administered by the SU. My experience in promotions and media makes me an ideal candidate for this role. But it hasn’t just prepared me to work within the Student’s Union. It has also given me the knowledge and drive to change it. Too often are crucial issues dominated by the same few committed people, because of a lack of effective publicity for the Union.
The UGM is the heart of student democracy but currently sparsely attended; it needs to evolve. I propose simple measures to change this with the use of a bell on Houghton Street to announce the beginning of the UGM, an A-board to advertise, sponsored incentives to attend, themed society weeks and encouragement for society motions.
Increased use and development of web-use is the way forward for the SU. I will build up a healthy working relationship with OnCampus to ensure it is working the best it can. Advances that I would propose include refining an SU news feed, creating personalised calendars, and designing a payment scheme for SU events and society membership drives.
I’m looking into separating Global and RAG week to divide the Communication Officer’s workload more efficiently.
I also have a brilliant working relationship with all SU staff already and this is vital to the role of Communications Officer.
Because BERRY CAN COMMUNI-KAYT – vote Kayt Berry No. 1 for Comms.

No comments: